Saturday, January 10, 2009

for the Winsteads


Made in 2003 - wedding quilt for Cutch & Karin

I don’t remember when in 2003 we were presented with our wedding quilt. (Since we had a wedding in May and one in October, the whole year is a bit fuzzy). But I do remember getting it at Ann Sink’s house and I call it “the love quilt” because of all the love that was put into the quilt. A lthough Rebecca was the head quilter and spear-headed the project, Carol McDevitt, Ann Sink and Sharon Baschon (my Habitat for Humanity buddies) all helped in the quilting process. A s the story goes, the four ladies got together once a week for I don’t know how many weeks to put the quilt together. It’s beautiful! Rebecca recently asked whether we slept under our quilt, and I almost felt guilty for saying no….at least not regularly. Our quilt is currently on the bed in our spare bedroom where Cutch and I both sleep periodically when we can’t seem to fall asleep in our own bed. For some reason we magically sleep like a baby once we re-locate and go under the love quilt. A fter thinking about my response to Rebecca about whether we slept under our quilt and having a few days to think about it, I’m glad we don’t sleep under it everyday. I think we tend to lose the sense of “specialness” of things we have access to everyday and I never want that to happen. Plus whenever we have guests, they invariably remark on the beautiful quilt and I get to re-tell the story of its origin. Each time I tell the story I feel incredibly fortunate to have such wonderful friends.



Made in 2006 for Layla


Layla’s baby quilt was delivered at the hospital shortly after Layla was born A pril 1 , 2006. Rebecca was the saint that brought edible food to the hospital the day (and day after) Layla’s arrival and she brought Layla a beautiful rainbow quilt….great for infant visual development. Layla sleeps with it on her bed every night. We enjoyed exploring the colors and fabrics when Layla was first learning words. There are frogs and a salamander, butterflies, dragonflies, dogs, cats, lizards, cows… The fact that Layla distinguishes between blankets and a quilt is very pleasing to me…it’s like she instinctively knows that quilts are special.


Written by Karin Winstead

No comments:

Post a Comment